[Wolves] web graphics question

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:21:52 GMT 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:36:42 +0000, Steve Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
> Matt Warwick wrote:
>
> >On Sunday 13 Mar 2005 08:45, Mo Awkati wrote:
> >

> >I use transparent PNGs on my blog which don't work correctly in IE, but
> >there is a piece of jscript you can add to the header in your site which
> >should make IE render them correctly.
> >

> adding a couple of k to every request for html on your site is a nasty
> gludge and should burn in hell.  Just because ie is broken doesn't mean
> you should slow down your site for everyone else.  Bugger ie, eventully
> people will get the message.
>
> HTML is a standard, PNG is a standard and CSS is a standard.  If MS
> can't support their clients you shouldn't do it for them.
>
> offering kludges to work around browser features is a return to the bad
> old days (1997 is the year normally quoted) with best viewed in buttons
> and hundreds of competing html versions attempting to bully themselves
> into the standards.  Don't do it, it's not big, it's not clever and it
> supports broken browsers instead of letting users discover their faults.
>
> sparkes

There is a letter (star prize too) in this month's PC Pro about IE.
It is froma software developer who moans about people knocking IE.  He
states that, "one of the joys of IE is that it hasn't stuck to the
ponderous W3C ECMAScript standards, but has significantly improved on
them."  He then goes on to say, "Just because W3C has set the
standard, doesn't mean it can't be improved on, and Microsoft has done
so in this case.  From a functionality viewpoint, Firefox is very
attractive and improves on IE, as you reviewer says." (referring to an
earlier item) "But why have its authors not adopted the improvements
put into IE to make it even better?  Unfortunately, until Firefox
adopts a similar coding standard to that of IE, many developers like
me will have to continue to write for IE.  As such, Firefox (and other
browsers, like Opera) won't be able to oust IE for business
applications."

I could not quite believe what I read and to think that they gave this
guy the star prize for his letter???  I think the guy must have his
head up his backside.  Does he not know that the tide is turning fast
and more people are starting to use Firefox in preference to IE?  What
will he do then?  I'll tell you, he'll have to get over his lazy, lame
excuses and start to code properly to the W3C standard.

I may well write a letter myself to PC Pro magazine.  Which, by the
way, I only have because I took them up on a 3 month sub for £1.  I
have written the cancellation letter today anyway :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street