[Wolves] Silly question but...

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 16:45:36 GMT 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>Ok, this may seem like a silly question to most of you, but I don't
>know.  So, what is the difference between a router, a broadband router
>and router with an ADSL modem on board.  Further, I realise that there
>is no modulation-demodulation going on for a broadband modem so what
>does it do?
>
>Cheers :-)

AFAIK,
a router forwards data to the relevant computer on a LAN, on a bigger
scale it can decide whether info for USA is sent via
undersea cables or satelite etc for best path for cost.
A broadband router acts as a gateway between computers on the LAN and
the rest of the world, again deciding whether traffic
should go between pc's and/or to the net.
A ADSL router does the same as a broadband one, but I think there is
mod/demod going on as data signals are encoded to a frequency to high
for the
human ears (to get more packed in). Hence the reason for the
microfilters which stop you hearing any squeaks on you phone.

I may be partly or completely wrong on some or all points! ;-)