[Wolves] Xorg weirdness in Hoary

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 23:39:40 GMT 2005

baza wrote:

> I'm not really sure what's going on.  When I boot my monitor says,
> 'unable to display this video mode'. At that point I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2
> with a view to editing xorg.conf, out of a sense of experimentation I
> hit C+A+F7, and there was the Gnome login screen running at 1280X1024
> (which is what I want).
>
> What I can't understand is -why- it's doing that.
>
> Baza

AFAIK X runs on the highest defined virtual terminal, probably 'on' F7.
I'd guess it is staying on the first virtual terminal, the console,
because you need to read the error message or it (wrongly) thinks
startup failed completely so it isn't a good idea to automatically flip
you over to a dead X display. In reality it sounds like it is getting
past the error and limping on.

Maybe someone who knows the dirty end of X better than me can help you
diagnose the error logs.

Woo