[Wolves] Odd memory module problem

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 23:50:21 GMT 2005

Mo Awkati wrote:

>With some versions of Windows you need to tweak a
>setting, I can't remember which but if you go to
>Crucial
>website and check the motherboard it will tell you.
>
>Mo

Agreed. There is a way to tell the box to ignore memory above a certain
threshold. It is probably intended to allow developers to test if code
will run on the lower spec machines they give their customers.

I've seen it used to 'set expectations' when a partial system is
delivered earlier. You don't want the users getting used to decent
performance on their shiny new PC and then being disappointed when you
give them the whole VB app. When you install the second phase of the
project, you whip the cover from over the memory you kept hidden and
they think the coder is a genius. Sad but true.

Woo