[Wolves] Odd memory module problem

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:09:52 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:01:50 +0000, Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 18 Mar 2005 10:46, Kevanf1 wrote:
> *snip*
> > of course there is a BIOS restriction.  Sorry, that thought has just
> > popped into my head....
>
> Apologies if I sound like I'm teaching ppl to suck eggs!
>
> From the sounds of it this kit is quite old (PC133).  First port of call is to
> check the MBoard specs/design.  If it's possible find out the manufacturer
> and model - then go check their web site for the manuals.  It's more than
> likely that a BIOS upgrade is needed.  Also it's a good idea to check the
> 'timings' that are being set in BIOS against those for the memory modules
> being used.
>
> It is possible that at an engineering level, due to the age of the board, it
> might not recognise memory modules larger than 256.  But this is unlikely.
>
> A final thought, where fitting the two modules is concerned.  Is the memory
> being fitted into the correct slots?  I remember that for certain
> boards/memory it had to be fitted in pairs and they had to be in the right
> slots in order for it to work.  Again, reference to the Mboard manual is the
> way to go here.
>
> I realise this may not have contributed much and apologise if it's just added
> noise.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete Evans

Anything is good help Pete, don't worry.  If it only backs up what I
have already done it does at least show that I'm on the right track.

The first thing I did was to ask him the mobo make etc.  I finally got
the serial number and went over to motherboards.org  From here I
managed to get a manual to check memory requirements.  His board is an
MSI - can't remember what model exactly but I have it written down
somewhere - which will take up to 1gb of memory.  It takes DIMMs so
one stick can be used at a time.  It's quite possible that they have
to go in slot 1 first but that is not really an issue as it was when
both were put in that it fell over.  The BIOS timings are the next
thing I will lokk at, cheers.  That's partially the thought that
popped into my head in my previous posting :-)  I'm just glad that I
am on the right track.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer