[Wolves] Canon printers and Linux

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 19:16:22 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 15:13, Andy Wootton wrote:

> I think Jayne's comment about debate was in response to Kevan's
> suggestion to debate whether the world is a better place post-Microsoft;
> to be held elsewhere (unspecified.)

Hey, first off my moan about the word 'Debate' and was not aimed at Jayne
personally but at the word 'Debate'

> You won't get much of a defence for Microsoft-only printers here because
> the position is indefensible.

I'm not for or against Microsoft but I cant help thinking if someone hates
Microsoft that much then don't use it! its perfectly simple.

There are lots of people all over the world who have no trace of MS products
on their systems so the argument of "My super 2000 printer don't work under
Linux because evil microsoft forced them to make one that only works with
Windows" just doesent hold water.

> Using the excuse of lowering hardware
> costs, Microsoft and the collaborating printer manufacturers have
> created a hardware standard to support their software monopoly.

There is no monopoly anymore people who buy Microsoft products want to buy
them, no one puts a gun to their head there ain't three hairy neanthadols
called big Dave, Razor and Mad dog hanging around forcing them to buy those
products.

As far as this conspiracy theory regarding collusion between MS and hardware
manufacturers is concerned I agree 6 or 7 years ago there may have been some
truth in it but not now!

Those people who still think thats true are clinging to an out of date
argument to defend their OS of choice.

Because the argument is out of date its a floored argument.

Hardware costs are in free fall because scum bags get Vietnamise, Chinease,
Koreans and Indians to work for 50p a year and all the shit they can eat.

All the key players are in these country's HP, Sony, Fujitsu Seimens.....
because these poor sods are having to sell themselves like prostitutes on the
open market to pay off massive debts, the raw materials and labour cost are
so low its farcical.

So I'm afraid the argument of;
--<insert>--
> Using the excuse of lowering hardware
> costs, Microsoft and the collaborating printer manufacturers have
> created a hardware standard to support their software monopoly.
--<end>--
Again is a floored argument unless of course people think Bill Gates said to
HP etc "Hey guys get your arse's to Korea they're all peasants and you can
pay em peanuts and make a fortune"

Printer manufacturers are not interested in Linux, yet, because they see no
profit in it but even that statement isn't true as HP are producing a range
of Linux compliant equipment.

The run of the mill 'Honest John's supper 2000 printer is going to be made for
the MS market because they know thats where it will sell, no dark deals
behind closed doors, no MS hit men planting a horses head at the bottom of
the bed of an errant manufacturer just simple market forces more people use
MS than Linux so MS gets the printer

>There was a perfectly good de facto standard in Adobe PostScript but
>Microsoft didn't control it. Adobe make an interesting contrast with
>Microsoft. They have a history of defining open standards as a result of
>their R&D and relying on the quality of their software to see off the
>competition. Obviously Microsoft don't have that option available.

Stuff Microsoft they are the wrong target attack the Manufacturers after all
its their products that don't work

--
Regards
Peter Cannon