[Wolves] Linspire has killed my Ubuntu

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 21:49:25 GMT 2005

Stuart Langridge wrote:

>>>What I don't like about them is the fact that they're charging people
>>>like 30 quid a year for stuff which is basically free.

Aren't they charging 30 quid for a SERVICE  of easy updates and app
compatibility testing? *

Aren't services the way companies are supposed to make money out of
Linux? It's unfortunate that they chose the 'red-top tabloid and free
lucky bingo cards' approach but many people are quite stupid so they
have a large target market. I imagine satellite technology is quite
complex but I don't think many Sky customers were very keen to learn
about it before the nice man came and nailed a dish to their window frame.

* - I admit that Ubuntu has undercut them by about 35 quid (inc. postage.)

Anyone fancy trying to pitch the idea of a startup Linux software
company to a venture capitalist?

Woo