[Wolves] Suse 9.3

Jayne Heger jayneheger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:30:08 GMT 2005

> Wow so its not just me then? I got hold of a copy that was supposedly
> specifically for Suse, it installed fine but refused to run! That was the one
> of the reasons for choosing the Windows version.

You've made me do it! you've made me realise how much I miss my
VMware, I'm now looking at the VMWare website almost about to order
VMware Workstation 4.5.
But the Linux version.

> Actually there must be something strange with Suse I did a test install and it
> screwed VMware up the Suse install ran fine and VMware-tools installed fairly
> easy but when I tried to install Debian and one or two other Linux based
> distro's VMware kept trying to install VMware-tools as Suse which of course
> failed. I had to delete all the virtual machines and do an overlay
> installation.

Yes, I remember when I had VMware Express configured for SuSE 7.0 and
then upgraded to SuSE 7.1 the amount of hacking I had to do to get it
to work, I actually found a website devoted to the troubles with SuSE
7.1 and Vmware Express it was that bad! Got it to work eventually.....

> Take a look at version 5 you can download a beta its due for general release
> soon you get the beta on the understanding you give some feed back its
> licensed for 30 days.

I'm going a step better than that, I'm about to order 4.5 and
apparently if you do that you can automatically upgrade to Version 5
once its out properly.
I know how much I love VMware, so don't need to test it, so I'm buying
it which is something I should have done a while back as not having
VMware has been a pain, there''s been times when I've had to do SQL
Server and Visual Basic work So I've had to reboot just for that!
and pretty soon I'm having a special 'broadband' link put in to work,
so I'll be needing it more than ever.

> They claim it has better support for Suse now, there is an extensive how-to
> with regards installation however I only play with the Windows version.

Yeah, I'm having a look at the FAQ now

> I'm not bothered which machine is the host and what is the guest so long as I
> can run both at the same time I don't care --the end justifies the means. :-)

Exactly! thats what its there for :-)

Jayne