[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu May 5 14:27:51 BST 2005

On 5 May 2005, at 13:20, Tim Childe wrote:

> ps I'm not going to give up on linux this time, as I think I'm going
> to be teaching it next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds cool, where do you teach? I might drop by and see if any jobs
are in the offing I've been considering a return to a few hours
teaching next term ;-)

as for the disk.  It should be possible to boot from a rescue disk
(such as a linux live cd) and have a look around.  It might be possible
to mount the partition if you force it's type (probably FAT32 on
win98se, but might be FAT16 on a smallish partition).  If this is
possible then no panic it should be possible to save it.

If you can't get it to mount from a rescue cd then everything from here
is at your own risk and might bugger things up even more ;-)

As the risk taking sort I would fdisk the drive and change the
partition to the type I think it is and then attempt to mount it.  this
might make things worse because any problems could make the partition
table even less like reality than it is already.  This shouldn't make
things worse as your are only changing a couple of bits in the
partition table and not writing anything to the data areas of the drive
(at least as defined in the buggered partition table) but while that's
alright in theory practice often shags theory up the arse while talking
on the phone to his mom and all things can happen in real life.

If this doesn't work, it might be buggered after all and as it's only
the OS and programs and not your data that have gone astray a reinstall
would be the easiest option.  It might not be a quick and easy fix but
at least you've gone through all this at least once before as you now
keep your data safe.

> Tim.C

HTH

sparkes