[Wolves] Synaptic, strange behaviour

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 17:43:31 BST 2005

--- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Heres one for ya!
>
> My Synaptic on FC3 is being a naughty boy, it tells
> me there are upgrades
> available, it will list whats available, it will
> download whats available but
> then just sits there doing nothing! Its doesn't
> install the upgrades.
>
> from command line apt-get works fine as a test I
> used Yum, all OK, even
> up2date works fine.
>
> I haven't tried rpm -Uhv synaptic.xxxx yet just
> wondered if anyone had any
> ideas?
>
> I've not changed any settings although it did go a
> bit flaky the other day.

Unless you updated Synaptic then it should work as
usual (unlike Windows Update ;).

If the machine went flaky make sure it's not that hard
disk problem we were talking about the other day. Read
my blog about hard disk problems. There are 2 posts
from the last week or so.

Read /var/log/messages, dmesg, /var/log/kern.log and
/var/log/boot depending on what your machine has. My
logs produced some worrying output. Have a look at the
sysctl commands I ran just to be sure. The same goes
for Peter Evans if he's listening too. He was on about
disk problems recently.

I'm going away for a few days now so won't be replying
til Sunday evening or so.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk