[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun May 8 00:00:45 BST 2005

Tim Childe wrote:

> (BTW I hope you all use software that threads emails, or this will
> probably not mean anything to you now !)

I have lost track a bit with two seperate threads discussing Grub but
here goes:.

> I've got all grub back, and in Ubuntu I can see all partitions.  So
> I'm going to back up my C Drive to my D Drive (different partitions,
> same disk - but best i can manage)
>
> Then I may remove  and recreate the Primary DOS partion that's causing
> the trouble and copy the files back.
>
> I know this works for OS/2, but I've never tried with windows - will
> it all still boot ??
> (I'm assuming I'll copy all the files - they won't be locked because
> I'm in linux not windows)

Fair assumption, AFAIK. It is essential that you initialise the DOS
partition as bootable/system/some-other-flag-than-default or it still
won't be bootable.
If this doesn't work and you are forced to re-install Windows then don't
expect it to display any sign of intelligence. It may consider it can
just tread over every partition it sees without warning as Kevan implied
earlier by the order he suggested reinstalling everything.

> Also, the grub error is now clear - Error 18  - I've found plenty of
> fix suggestions that sound good, but none applicable.
> ie it worked until I messed (usually this is an install problem
> apparently), I cannot change my bios between LBA AUTO etc - and anyway
> it worked before........
>
> I do get errors from fdisk, ie Number of cylinders for this disk is
> set to 20320. may cause problems.

I don't think you need to worry about that unless it is an old system
where the BIOS can only boot from low numbered cylinders

> Tim.C
>
> ps so far 2 outcomes of this situation
> 1) I'm learning Linux incredibly fast

Linux trial-by-installion is part of the official training package. If
it goes badly then it's the hardest thing you ever do.

> 2) My wife is getting really annoyed at not being able to use the PC !!

She's right, you need an extra PC for R&D :-)
Should I go into hiding?

Woo