[Wolves] Screensavers

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 9 23:24:58 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On 5/9/05, Tim Humpherson <tim.humpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hey, guys, does one REALLY need a screensaver if one owns a TFT screen?
>>
>>I think the screensavers are primarily for CRT users so that the
>>phosphor coatings inside their CRT monitors would lessen the wear/tear
>>(phosphor burn) thus making CRT monitors last a bit longer.
>>[Hole-in-wall cash dispensers now have some kind of 'screensaver' by
>>flashing adverts about their banking products.]
>>
>>....but TFT does not contain phosphors, only LCD, so would they also
>>suffer the same problem?  I think not.
>>
>>Anyone know better than me?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Tim H.
>>
>>PS.  From now on, I'll use Tim H. since there's another bloke called
>>Tim (Tim C.)!!  Welcome Tim, enjoy this LUG forum, Regards Tim.
>>

>Modern CRT's don't need a screen saver any more.

But plasma screens do. We have some 42" screens, on 24 hours a day
displaying market prices - even when they're turned off, if you see what
I mean. Once someone noticed they checked the instructions and found
that there was software supplied to slowly move the image around to
lessen the effect.

Kevan and I should be politicians. Can anyone still remember the
question Tim asked?

Woo