[Wolves] Kubuntu Humble Pie

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed May 11 12:24:40 BST 2005

Oh, Bum

Having downloaded Kubuntu for Kevan I thought I'd load it on a crappy laptop
in my office just to make sure the disc was OK.

IBM 600e, PII366, 128MB, 6GB

I was wrong! I admit it, what a fantastic looking Distro forgetting all the
innards for a minute its beautiful to look at, I love the BIG message bubbles
when you hover the mouse over the start menus.

Brilliant idea to have the System Icon next to the start menu. Very swish
kynaptic (obviously a rehash of Synaptic) looks dead easy to use.

As expected there is a problem, one only so far, theres no sound but I'm very
impressed with the appearance.

Kontact (my favourite) has had a make over with sections for synchronisation
and RSS feeds.

I was going to wipe it straight away but I'm gonna play with it for a couple
of days to see how it does under Pete's critical eye.

On first impressions (about 10-15 minutes) I think Mandrake/Mandriva has
slipped to second place and (Lord Fedora forgive me) Kubuntu takes first as
far as new user/Windows converters are concerned.

No more slagging off from me, certainly not as far as Kubuntu is concerned.

I would defiantly write some sort of appraisal if asked.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk