[Wolves] Changing boot disks

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 20:29:44 BST 2005

Hi all

As I've mentioned, my hda (Windows NTFS disk) is dying
and I'm sending for a replacement, so I've removed it.
IN it's place is what was hdb (Ubuntu ext3)

Before I did this I edited /etc/fstab to point the
entries at hdax and /boot/grub/menu.lst to point at
the new disk location hda and did grub-install
/dev/hdb

The problem is I missed out changing the kernel lines
eg:

kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro
quiet splash

Which I have now changed successfully by booting from
a Live CD (which uses lilo).

I have also copied various grub utils and libraries to
their equivalent places on the Live CDs ramdisk
filesystem.

The problem I have is that /boot is on the CD itself
and therefore read only. Can anyone tell me the switch
to tell grub to write it's files in
/mnt/hda1/boot/grub as I am getting the error:

sh-2.05b$ /mnt/hda1/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
mkdir: cannot create directory `/boot/grub': Read-only
file system

I've been googling for a while and am getting nowhere.

Ad - evidently not the best person to help Tim Childes ;)

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.drinky.org.uk