[Wolves] Hello - first post from me !

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 13 09:15:31 BST 2005

On 5/13/05, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Tim Childe wrote:
>
> > <SMUG MODE>
> >
> > This is what I did, can anyone now work out what happened ????
>
> <SMUG++>
> You wrote Grub to your Win partition instead of the start of the disk.
>
> > </SMUG MODE>

 So I did type grub-install /hde/dev1 instead of just hde.
 So much grief from one typo !!!!!

> BTW If the pdf reader and prnter driver in Ubuntu had been any good, I
> wouldn't have needed windows !

The Adobe upgrade is described in the unofficial guide. See the WIKI
Ubuntu page.
 <MOAN>
 * I tried to install Acrobat Reader (befreo I trashed the machine) but gave
up as it got complicated.
* My Wacom tablet works but I have no settings I can change and the screen
is not the same size as the tablet !! (although that's better - with Red Hat
I never got it to work at all)
* The printer I got to work, but all it does is print, and I need the
features to adjust pages, double sided etc - which isn't in the driver or
the pdf reader.
* no sound
* can't change screen resolution above 1024x768 which is annoying on a 20"
screen
 just some of the reasons that linux drives me nuts !!
 But more of that in future posts - I have to go and teach people M$ stuff
now !!
 </MOAN>

Tim.C