[Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 16 07:59:14 BST 2005

I'm experimenting with Linux Terminal Server Project, using my Ubuntu
laptop as a temporary server. I've installed several necessary services;
nfs, dhcp, xdmcp etc. but when I attempt to install portmapper through
synaptic or apt-get, they ask me to put the original Warty beta CD back
in. I've included ever Ubuntu repository I know of and I don't have the
CD any more. I've Googled but other people seem to have installed it
THEN run into problems because portmapper only accepts 127.0.0.1
connections by default.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and can I fix it? I can read but not
write to the list from work so if anyone asks me anything I won't be
able to reply until tonight.

Thanks,

Woo