[Wolves] Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Deusiah deusiah at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:59:11 BST 2005

Is there anything wrong with Linux getting easy enough for less tech
savvy people? Linux can either stay as popular as it is and work the
way it currently does or it can make things easier and become more
popular that's how I see it.

Personally the amount of Linux ease of use if fine by me but I can see
others having a hard time with it. For example all of my mates use
Windows, I have a few mates who are fairly computer savvy and I pester
them to use Linux :P my other mates just use Windows and only know how
to do basic things such as install games. I know for a fact telling
them to use it would be pointless. They would instantly hate it and
swap back.

Most people want the machine to do everything it can for them because
means (or should mean) less time spent on something and less knowledge
required to work it.

I think a lot of people don't want to see Linux go down the same road
of Windows in terms of ease of use and the way that the console is an
application and less of a tool. I don't think Linux could go down this
road, yes there will always be people who will never touch the console
because the tools would become good enough they wouldn't need too but
so long as I can still get to the console and have none of that
underlying configurability is taken away I'm happy.

Chris