[Wolves] Linux for idiots Was: Why does Ubuntu want the CD to install portmap?

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:16:19 BST 2005

On 5/18/05, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> * Would it be wrong of me to patent the expression "Thin-client Porche"?

The whole idea is so wrong that I do believe you should be exiled to
Elba just for suggesting it. Totally agree with all your other points;
Porsches shouldn't be given to people who aren't prepared to treat
them with respect. Similarly, neither should Debian. It's perfectly
reasonable to give them a simpler distribution with the rough edges
knocked off, though. The beauty of Linux, to my mind (and the concern
with people who talk *too* much about "dumbing it down") is that if
you do it right then the system is easy to use but all that power is
*still* there under the bonnet if you need it. You just need to work a
little to understand how to turn it on. It's like getting a clapped
out Jaguar and fitting a nitro burner on it; that'll beat any Porsche
on the market, but you need a bit of knowledge to do it.

Aq.