[Wolves] Linux for idiots

mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk mad-malc at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 20 09:47:33 BST 2005

Hi all
I have been conducting a little exoeriment to see if Linux is suitable for
idiots (I know what you're thinking...).
I tried to post the preliminary results but guess there is some filter which
will not allow a .PDF attachment, I had to export the file to PDF to save
it as my O.O.O kept causing a KDE Crash handler when trying to save (running
KDE 3.4 on SUSE 9.2 not sure about O.O.O version).
Any way the most important thing I have discovered is that some of the new
Live Cd versions will quite happily boot and install on one machine but not
the other, also the amount of functionality from straight install varies
somewhat between Distro's. This leads me to still advocate linux as a better
system than Windows as regards to what you get from as straight Distro still
install, but also means that I can not extol the virtues of one Linux Distro
over another.
Indeed the past practise of giving anyone interested in linux a set of install
discs for a particular Distro are being modified in my mind, in that it might
be more productive to hand over 2 or more distro's, with the caveat that
as I do not know their particular machines specification ,there will be different
results from each install, but I'm still certain it will beat windows and
they'll be really pleased with at least one of them.
Looking at the question further WindowsXP gives almost no usability unless
you have driver discs for basic motherboard components, so linux is in my
opinion far more suitable for someone wanted a works from out the box solution,
the problem to be faced is however down to hardware compatibility which is
a bit of a lottery.

Mad Malc

Book yourself something to look forward to in 2005.
Cheap flights - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/flights/
Bargain holidays - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/holidays/