[Wolves] Make Gnome Fast! [Was: What makes Gnome/KDE slow?]

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:51:03 BST 2005

On 5/20/05, Deusiah <deusiah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm why can't you just try it and see for yourself? lol.

Because I don't run Gnome on my Linux tins :-)

> I'm afraid I don't leave any of my PC's on overnight, they all sound
> like WW2 planes taking off and I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Sounds like mine, should we get together and think up a silent PSU ;-))))

 I guess
> leaving my laptop on downstairs over night may be possible but that
> things quite old and gets very hot. I'm not sure I'd trust it.

It's not worth risking hardware.

 Of
> course that's not stop any of you from trying it right? :P
>
> I will switch my laptop and desktop machine on in the morning, test
> the load times of various slow programs and then do it later on. I
> really don't think there will be any difference though :P

Try to think of programs that only get run on the odd occasion

> No need for the apologies Kevan, I'm as sceptical about this as you
> are and with good reason to be, afterall how can there be a
> performance boost like this without something having been disabled?

It's always best to be sceptical.

> Just out of curiosity is there a way of timing how long it takes a
> program to load other than using a stop watch? Would be nicer to get
> some more accurate results.

Now that I don't know with Linux.  If it were Windows I'd suggest
something like SiSoft.  Is there a Linux equivalent?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street