[Wolves] Linux for idiots

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:06:33 BST 2005

On 5/20/05, Larry Tomkins <ls.tomkins at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I will agree the Linux is better then windows for many
> things, and it's safer for surfing, but there are some
> areas mainly available apps when it comes nowhere
> near. I am thinking of Cooledit the audio editor,
> there is nothing in linux that comes anywhere near.
> Also I like musicmatch jukebox again nothing in linux
> with the same functionality. Scanner support is
> improving but again not in the same league, the same
> goes for digital cameras too. But we stay here hoping
> Larry T.

Ah, now first lets' just take the hardware issues.  If a piece of
hardware needs a driver it is not Linux that is at fault it is the
hardware manufacturer for only producing a Microsoft driver.  In this
respect they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot.  I have a
Pinnacle 300i tv card.  Pinnacle have only made drivers for Win XP.
They have therefore excluded all the other types of Windows software.
Showshifter have made software that will run this card for Win2k,
thankfully.  The same goes for digital cameras and scanners.  I have
both that are not supported with Linux drivers because the
manufacturers cannot be bothered to produce them for Linux.

Now, Music Match?  I'm pretty sure that there is software that is just
as functional as this for Linux.  I should know, I do have MusicMatch.
 What exactly does Cool Edit do?  I don't know this software but I do
know that there are profession studio music producers who will not use
Microsoft systems but will use Linux because the available software is
far superior.

I'm saying this even though I do use both OS's :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street