[Wolves] Baffled by cron (eedjit alert)

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun May 22 17:56:50 BST 2005

Paul Harrison wrote:

> I'm running Ubuntu Hoary.  I can't get my head round cron at all - it
> doesn't appear to be working.
>
> I looked at this:
>
> http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.html
>
> for an intro to cron.  I try:
>
> bogl at bogubu:~$ ps aux | grep crond
> bogl       699  0.0  0.0   3032   724 pts/0    S+   17:15   0:00 grep
> crond
>
> ...and that's all I get.  So then I try:
>
> bogl at bogubu:~$ sudo crond
> Password:
> sudo: crond: command not found
>
> Any cron jobs I try setting up using kcron do nothing.
>
> I have googled and tried to R T fine M, but can't see what is up.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

When you did "sudo crond" it couldn't find crond in your $PATH.

Your actual problem is that cron runs as the process name "cron", not
"crond" (on Debian/Ubuntu at least)

If you used "crontab -e"  I believe it validates the cron file before
putting it into use. Output from a cron will be emailed to the user.

thanks
David.

--
David Goodwin