[Wolves] Ubuntu Warty to Hoary killed my X

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 30 11:56:17 BST 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

>--- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>I decided to take the plunge, modified the config
>>and ran apt-get
>>update, apt-get upgrade and went to bed. No X! I'm
>>slightly worried that
>>apt-get says that x-window-system-core has been
>>"kept back". I don't know why.
>>/etc/init.d/gdm restart does nothing. Startx gives
>>the grey background and mouse cursor.
>>

>Try apt-get dist-upgrade
>
>It's a bit smarter about handling package upgrades.
>
>Ad

Thanks Adam. It wasn't on this occasion unfortunately. I have just made
progress though. I did an 'apt-get install  x-window-system-core' and it
said it was deleting XF86 and installing X.Org which sounds a step in
the right direction. I think I have a curent system now. It still
doesn't work but...

Woo