[Wolves] Ubuntu Warty to Hoary killed my X

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon May 30 21:45:33 BST 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

>>So are you back up yet? I vaguely recall my own
>>upgrade being a bit bumpy but less painful than yours.
>>I blogged about in April.
>>
>>Ad

Yes thanks. I seem to have mopped most of the bits up off the floor. It
was a bit of a mess though. More than X had been blown away. I have lots
of stuff in Synaptic with status 'not installed (residual config)' and
some of it is in 'installed' too. Some apps stayed installed - sodipodi,
gaim but others needed reinstalling - dia, AbiWord, Conglomerate. I
don't seem to have lost anything that matters i.e. data. Gaim remembers
who I talk to, Firefox knows my bookmarks so no real harm done.

I think the trouble was caused by me not using the dist-upgrade option
but it was the first time I'd used apt-get and I was trusting someone
who sounded like he knew what he was talking about. It's fairly obvious
from the name that it must do something special in this situation.

Woo