[Wolves] Firefox and pop up ad's

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 03:35:43 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 Nov 2005 23:49, Dick Turpin wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 23:17, Simon Morris wrote:
> > I've noticed a slight increase on Linux - but I don't go to many popuppy
> > sites.
> >
> > But on a few I've had unexpected popups.
>
> I've yet to experience this , I encourage my kids to use Linux for browsing
> for this very reason I.e pop ups, etc..
>
> Plus I and my staff use Firefox at work for this very reason, this is very
> disconcerting!
>
> You're not looking at that at that 'Naked Fish' site again are you?

I can also report seeing a small number of popups starting to reappear. As I
understand it, these adverts are able to bypass the popup blocker by opening
them from within browser plugins, typically (but not necessarily) Flash.

See:
http://digg.com/links/Kill_Those_Pesky_Firefox_Popups
http://www.playfool.com/blog/?p=201

Your plea for help has been the final straw to spur me to action... I guess
I'm just of a benevolent and altruistic disposition :).

Anyway, I've just made the config change recommended above on my browser...
let's see what happens. Hope it works.

Regards,

James