[Wolves] PeterC joins the 21st Century

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 18:02:13 GMT 2005

David Goodwin wrote:

>>> From what I know most extension cables for telephones are only 2
>>> core as
>>
>> the phones need the two wires rather than four to operate. So most
>> extension cables only come with two as its cheaper for them to make.
>> However DSL requires all four, and hence the problem.
>

> I know you're wrong there, as I have had ADSL running off two core wire.
>

> thanks
> David.

To clear up 2 wire/ 4 wire:

2 wires are used to carry the speech/data and given the first socket is
a 'master socket', then the telephone will ring when plugged into it.
If you have an extension and it is also a 'master socket', you can just
run two wires to it and it will also ring.
If the extension is a 'slave socket', you can run just two wires to it
and use it for in/out calls BUT it will not ring - to make it ring you
need the extra
pair of wires between master and slave sockets (total of 4).

Master and slave sockets differ only in that Master has (AFAIK) a diode
and a resistor on the board inside, slave has nothing.

--
Wayne Morris
Machx