[Wolves] Samba in an Active Directories environment

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:50:11 GMT 2005

> Thanks for this Simon, it looks like its gonna be a big job - do you
> know of any simple step by step instructions for a basic set up
> anywhere on the net ?
>
> Is there info I need from the parent company re the AD server i.e. SID's etc ?
>
> Ian

To be honest if you know how to do it the actual process is pretty
easy (isn't that always the way?? Research takes 95% of the time!)

It helps *a lot* if these components are available from your distros
package management system (i.e. deb or rpm) building this stuff would
be a bit painful

All you need from your AD itself is an administrative password. The
benefits of doing it are great so I would recommend putting this in.

For example we had a `SSH users' AD group that were allowed to ssh
onto a box and su to root. Very good for auditing access to servers
and Samba itself is nice with AD integration.

I have a document somewhere - I'll dig it out for you

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org