[Wolves] linux fedora core 4

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 19:18:42 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 13:48, Bobby Singh wrote:
> Hello,
>   I know fedora is a popular distrobution and a lot of people use  it.
> like kde hence did'nt install,

We run kde on our 4 x FC4 servers where I work.  When you install the o/s you
simply uncheck gnome and check kde - voila! a decent windows manager.

> but i have been using  ubuntu!?!  When i
> come across people with ubuntu i still find a  lot a happy fedora users. So
> why so popular;

There is a great community support base.

> is it just a stable  mandrake with gnome? does it have good
> package mang?

There is nowt wrong with the rpm command...

> is it true about  the bad multimedia support?

I've never had any problems.

> What
> post-install is needed to install and should have running?

Whatever you need to do to get the box running just as you want it.  This is
exactly the same as any o/s.

> I  know you
> need 'YUM'

No you don't.  I have never used YUM and I've been running Redhat systems
since version 5.x.

> are all the multimedia codecs available?

Whatever is available for mplayer, xine, etc works fine.

--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)