[Wolves] Two things...

Dave Murphy schwuk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 14:39:47 GMT 2005

On 10/11/05, Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> What will be interesting is although we are hearing that the SQL-Server
> (Lite/Personal/Express/Whatever) will be free to download I wonder what will
> be the capability that it comes with (i.e. what features are
> missing/crippled) and what will be the terms of use attached to it.

SQL Server 2005 Express is nothing new - for years Microsoft have
offered MSDE (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.mspx) which is
a cut-down SQL Server. IIRC the limitations for the 2000 variant are:

 - 2GB size limit (per database)
 - 5 concurrent users
 - Unable to participate in replication (certainly as a master)
 - No bundled client tools

Many applications (esp. web based ones that get round the 5 user limit
by using connection sharing/pooling) support or are even intended for
use with MSDE (with the obvious upgrade path to SQL Server as your
requirements grow).

Of course it goes without saying that most of the same applications
could have easily targetted MySQL or others. It's the integration of
MS products that keeps people using them.

Cheers,
--
Dave Murphy (Schwuk)
http://schwuk.com