[Wolves] A large lump of hardware going for free

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 18:27:22 GMT 2005

At Handsworth Grammar School we have an IBM RS/6000 SP/2 going to anyone who
wants to cart it away.  It's a 4 x thin node model; basically it's four
rs/6000-390's in a rack.  And that's pretty well all I know about it.  If you
do want it, you should note that :-

it has no operating system but it *might* run Linux (when we first got it I
did some research and I was confident that it could be made to work).

it may or may not power up, although it looks OK to me.  (We bought some time
ago on ebay with the intent of using it but we've never had the time.  Now we
need the space.)

it is very big; you'll need a large van with a tail lift or a 6'x4' trailer
and a couple of beefy mates to help take it away.

you'll have to collect it during school time.

it comes as is (the ultimate home computing challenge).

pix of it can be seen here http://www.openhgs.org/gallery/album02

If anyone is interested, drop an an email at sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk

Personally I reckon it would make the ultimate home system and I'd love to
have it here but I simply don't have the room to keep it.
--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)