[Wolves] Samba in an Active Directories environment

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 22:23:59 GMT 2005

On 23/11/05, Ian Harper <idharper at gmail.com> wrote:
> Workin through this but hit a snag !! I have the krb5.conf and
> smb.conf set up and when I do a klist etc it shows as ok, however when
> I do a net ads join ... with debug turned on it  comes back with an
> error "KDC has no support for the encryption type", I am plowing
> through the net and in particular MS's sites.

Hmm, interesting!

> If you have any ideas this would help !!

Yep. If your machine has a GUI use ethereal to see which encryption
types you are trying to negoiate with the domain controller.

if you don't have Ethereal on the server you can use tcpdump

tcpdump -s 1500 -w ~/kerberos.cap udp port 88 or tcp port 88

This will give you a capture file that you can analyse (or post
somewhere and link us)

You are looking for the "Encryption Types" field in the KDC_REQ_BODY body

My server tries des3-cbc-sha1; rc4-hmac; des-cbc-crc; des-cbc-md5; des-cbc-md4

When we bind Mac OS X machines to AD we use des-cbc-md5 which works
with AD fine.

I'm a bit confused as to what is going on as I have no idea how you
would configure AD to not accept certain types - certainly there is
nothing in the GUI to do this.

Could you post your krb5.conf file?

--
~sm