[Wolves] Another reason why Linux struggles to become mainstream......?

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:08:28 GMT 2005

So after a while not using linux, I decide tonight I can risk problems (I
only want to surf) so I'll give it a go and see what happens

I boot up my works PC from the Ubuntu Live CD (Hoary Hedghog) and all is
well.....

I'm now in the same position as someone trying linux for the first time
having been recommended to try it.

Everything is fine until I go to make a cup of coffee.  When I return the
screen saver has come on and it's locked with a password !!!!!!!

I got back in, but only by starting up another PC, searching the internet,
then following someones instructions - CTRL-ALT-F1, sudo passwd ubuntu,
enter new password (twice) CTRL-ALT-F7
Interestingly, even with this the bottom few lines weren't displayed on the
screen - I had to hit return several times to realise this - but 15 years in
IT allows me to enter commands without seeing what I'm doing, so I managed
to st a new password.

No wonder linux struggles to get accepted as being simple to use !!!!!!!!

Sorry to rant as my first post for months - but it just annoyed me so much !

--
Tim.C