[Wolves] Any views on Symphony OS and mezzo.

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 13:15:21 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 10:51, Simon Morris wrote:

> Every component of RHES is open sourced - they don't have any closed
> source component.

Now its my turn to be pedantic!  I was talking about RHEL not RHES :P
(I'm a bit happier now)

> However they do have restricted trademarked content that they defend
> so to use RHES you have to be subscribed to the Red Hat Network to be
> a valid copyright licencee (if that is the correct term)

--<snip from off list mail>--

I bent the explanation slightly it lets you use up2date for 30 days now
up2date is in fact a sort of GUI for yum when I did 'yum update' from command
line the terminal basically said "what is it you want me to do then?" a quick
rpm -q yum and all was revealed yum is not installed.

Tried to reinstall yum and got "yum is not installable yum.conf required" I
gave up and installed apt.

--<end snip>--

> CentOS build their OS from the Red Hat Source binaries - it is to Red
> Hats credit that they can do this.

Yeah the only thing they seem to have made them do is re-colour the logo's  if
I was cynical I'd say Red Hat are trying to trade mark the colour red.

If it was not for the fact that I'm so used to Fedora having run it for
comming up to 3 years now, that I would use CentOS as my main, day to day
Distribution of choice.

> ( The above is to provide factual information not to prod the embers,
> so to speak )

Don't worry you'll need to join the que theres a place for you just behind the
woman with the baseball bat :)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon