[Wolves] [ANNOUNCE] Birmingham.pm Tech Meet - Wed 30th November

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 16:04:04 GMT 2005

I'll try that again....

Just in case some of you guys might be interested in coming over to see
what we're up to.....

Event:   Technical Meeting
Date:    Wednesday 30th November 2005
Times:   from 6pm onwards (see below)
Venue:   O'Neills, 90 Hurst Street, The Arcadian Centre, Birmingham
Details: http://birmingham.pm.org/docs/technical-next.html

Talks:

For the November Technical Meeting we will be changing the format a
little. Rather than one or two longish talks, we are going to aim to
have around 6-10 lightning talks. A lightning talk is a 5 minute
presentation, where you basically get a flavour for the subject and
then straight on to the next subject. It's a great way to get some
practice at presenting, as well as an ideal way to advertise your
latest project without having to get too involved in the details. In
no particular order the talks currently scheduled are:

* So Damn Kludgy [Barbie]
* Smoking The Stats [Barbie]
* History of a FAQ [Brian McCauley]
* substr() as subroutine argument [Brian McCauley]
* When does (pre|post)increment happen? [Brian McCauley]
* Photo Tools [JJ]
* TBA [Richard Dawe]

We have room for more speakers should anyone wish to volunteer
themselves for a spot. However, due to time constraints you will need
to let me know as soon as possible. If you plan to do a lightning talk,
you will need to get me your slides/presentation before lunchtime on
Wednesday. If you've never seen or heard of a lightning talk, the
following links might give you an idea of what to expect.

* http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/07/30/lightningtalk.html
* http://perl.plover.com/lt/osc2005/lightning-talks.html
* http://www.justanotherperlhacker.org/lightning/

These talks are aimed at getting as many people talking as possible, so
if you've never spoken at a technical meeting, and want to have a short
spot to advertise your favourite project (doesn't have to be Perl) or
just get some experience of speaking before doing a longer talk, please
give it a go. We will be gentle, and you'll get some good feedback.

As always entry is free, and whatever your knowledge of Perl, we'd be
delighted to have you along. Feel free to invite family, friends and
colleagues ;)

Times:

Times for the evening we are planning for are:

* food available: 6.00-7.30pm
* talks: 7.30-9.00pm
* pub closes: 11pm

Food:

Food is available until 8pm, however we can pre-order food so that we
can eat before the talks. A menu is available (click the link below).
If you would like to order food, please let me know your order and
roughly what time you plan to get there, by 4pm on Tuesday 25th
October. We normally start arriving from 6pm onwards, with the food
usually being served about 7pm. If you wanted to eat earlier I'm sure
they can accommodate you. You can order on the night, but you might
have to wait a little longer, or be out of luck with some choices.

  Menu - http://birmingham.pm.org/docs/technical/oneills-menu.html

Venue:

Technical meetings are held at O'Neills on Hurst Street, by The
Arcadian Centre. We will be in the main function room ("the band room"
if you've ever been there at the weekend). It's approximately 5-10
minutes walk from New Street station, and only slightly longer from
the city centre.

O'Neills, The Arcadian Centre, 90 Hurst Street, Birmingham, West
Midlands, B5 4DT
- http://www.pubs247.co.uk/pubPages/pub.asp?id=46670
- http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=407133&y=286252&z=1&sv=407250,286250&st=4&ar=Y

Directions & Parking:

See website for details.

http://birmingham.pm.org/docs/technical-next.html

If you get stuck or lost, please call me on 0771 401 6184 for
directions.

Hope to see you there.

Barbie.