[Wolves] Too many cooks

Mike Peters mike at ice2o.com
Sat Oct 1 00:18:37 BST 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:36:29 +0100
Dick Turpin <highwayman.turpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Evening All
>
> As usual I'm behind the times and have only just discovered the world
> of Mambo, having immersed myself in this great idea for easy to
> manage web site creation I found that a month ago Mambo underwent
> some changes.
>
> Then there was a spin off called xoops, in effect its the same as
> Mambo but with some small changes that allows itself to say its
> different. A few days ago, after getting back from my holiday, there
> is a third offering, 'Joomla' this is endemic of the Linux community.
>
> I love Linux/Open Source its brilliant but this type of thing does
> the community no good. I may be ignorant but I get the feeling that a
> group of guys create something see a financial potential, fall out
> over it then split up to do their own thing which leaves the end user
> stuffed.
>
> Its the same with Distributions I like Red Hat and its derivatives,
> its the old story 'You like what you used first' I started with RH9
> and followed on through to Fedora but look at the RH derivatives
> 'White Box', CentOS' etc what is trying to be achieved? am I missing
> something? I don't think these derivatives/clones are any better or
> give the end user any benefit seeing as most of them use the updates
> released by the mainstream distributions. IMHO they just make the
> person responsible feel more important so that they can say "I did
> that".
>
> True there is cross pollination ie CentOS possibly creates a better
> kernel so Fedora adopts it but lets be honest its more likely to be
> the other way around.
>
> I'm sticking with Mambo as its quicker to master if you want
> something up and running fast. I've change www.cannon-linux.co.uk to
> Mambo I still have lots to do some of the links don't work but at
> least everything is manageable from one admin panel, I will also be
> changing www.centrosales.co.uk (Works site) to Mambo too I have one
> serious problem with that, the network card keeps going to sleep it
> should have gone live Wednesday but until I sort this problem out it
> will stay at srv1.centrosales.co.uk
>
> (Drunken rant from the dark over) :)

Although I agree with the gist of what you are saying I think
you've got the Mambo/Joomla situation wrong. Joomla is a fork of the
Mambo project created by the Mambo Core Development Team in an
attempt to maintain Mambo's status as an Open Source Project. This was
felt necessary after a perceived 'hostile takeover' of Mambo by
Miro/Mambo Foundation (the organisation supposedly sponsoring Mambo
development). The situation is summarised better than I can here:
http://www.tsmf.net/content/view/176/43/ by the team behind Simpleboard
a Mambo component who have decided to go with Joomla, as have many,
many other projects.

I don't want to tell you what to do but I would hope you would at least
consider moving your Mambo stuff over to Joomla.

--
Mike
Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com
JabberID: mpeters at jabber.org
Registered Linux User #247123

"I'd love to go out with you, but I have to stay home and see if I
snore."