[Wolves] Too many cooks

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 16:30:57 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>>to do want you want with the code.  That's the whole ethos of the OSS
>>community.  Isn't it?
>>
>>:-)))

It's always been one of the greatest strengths and weaknesses of
Unix-style OS. Software evolves and the best versions survive by natural
selection. You might call that a free market. This is a problem for
Linux because companies have been operating under 'state-control' by
Microsoft for so long that they no longer have people who are capable of
tracking technical alternatives and making risk-assessed choices about
their long-term viability. Linux looks about as atractive to the average
senior IT manager as the end of communism did to the manager of a
Russian factory.

I've always been frustrated by the reluctance of distros before Ubuntu
to make choices between alternative packages on their customers behalf.
Most people don't want choice, just one thing that works. I think this
applies to schools and hospitals too. None of the major political
parties seemed to agree with me at the last election though. It was "all
about choice".

Ubuntu chose to pick one of everything. Unfortunately, it picked a
Windows 'one big tool that does everything' model, Outlook clone as a
mail and news client and calendar. I guess I want to be advised but not
instructed on the best way forward.

Woo