[Wolves] Too many cooks

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 12:04:26 BST 2005

Kevanf1 wrote:

>>If they'd picked a few small tools with defined interfaces then it
>>wouldn't have needed "much integration work". I stand corrected though.
>>Gnome got it wrong, not Ubuntu.
>>
>>Woo
>>
>The KDE model of Ubuntu (Kubuntu) goes down the same road.  They have
>an integrated mailer, contact, address book, calendar, hoover, kitchen
>sink big box of dusters and the rubber gloves :-)  Perhaps it is done
>to tempt Windows users towards Ubuntu/Kubuntu?  Give them what they
>are used to instead of a mish mash of different programs (however good
>they may be and I don't dispute that they are).
>

>After all, Mr
>Shuttleworth has already stated that he is pitting himself (or Ubuntu)
>against Microsoft Windows in the next version so why not the same
>philosophy now? ...

Well, to summarize in a Mr. Aq stylee - because it would be wronger than
the wrongest wrong thing! Not doing things that way is one of the core
values of the Unix philosophy. You can't compete with Windows on their
turf. It's muddy, slopes towards your goal and you are playing against a
wind of FUD.

If you have to change Linux into Windows to win converts then what is
the point? We may as well all start using OS X now.
Why do you even want to "win"? I have no problem with Linux only having
a minority of the market as long as it is better than Windows and it
gets big enough to be supported by hardware manufacturers.

I work in a Windows environment that has an Intranet that only works
with IE; has a source code control system, a document control system
and  an intranet Portal for displaying documents. They don't work
together. Each product is fighting to grow into the other products'
"space" so they don't want to make life easier for their customers. They
want you to give up and buy everything from them. Do we want that
attitude between FOSS projects?

Woo