[Wolves] Re: Re: RE: Tumbleweeds.

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 10:36:46 BST 2005

On 08/10/05, Kelly, Martin <Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk> wrote:

> Wasn't that the Metaluna one?  Where thee guys had to build a
>  'televisor' from parts.  It turned out to be an extraterrestrial test.
>   Brilliant film that.
>
>  NO, As I suspected (just googled Metaluna, I'm not that good) Metaluna
> comes from "this Island Earth" a great BEM movie. As the title suggests
> "When worlds collide" is about some colliding worlds, One of them being the
> one we're standing/ sitting on at the mo. 50's film that won awards for
> spectacular  special effects!!!, Ive got the original on dvd.  Plot was a
> bit predictable, The evil entrepreneur ( whats the french for that again?)
> gets left behind as the ark ship departs, the guy gets the gal, and the ship
> lands on the new eden, where there's painted backdrop as far as the eye can
> see.
>  Of course, the travellers later find out the the intergalactic name for
> earth is Golgafrincham, and there's no sign of the A and C ships.  (I made
> that last bit up).
>  Mart.

There's something ringing bells about the 'World's Collide' plot. I
suspect it's been used more than once in sci-fi novels/films.  I seem
to remember something about blowing up a planet that's on a collison
course with earth because there is no life it.   Except that there is
of course life on it....

This Island Earth.. yep, excellent film and I remember now :-)  They
should show those good oldies more often.  I loved the original War of
the Worlds (not seen the new one yet and I'm not sure I want to) and
of course the great classic, The Day The Earth Stood Still.  Ah,
nostalgia :-)))

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street