[Wolves] finding my roots

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Sun Oct 9 19:46:21 BST 2005

> When I amend some of the settings I get asked for an admin-user
> password, which works fine with my login password - is this the same
> as root in Ubuntu? Am I already at the right level? Surely if I was
> logged in as root from the get-go I wouldn't have to keep re-typing a
> password?

Ubuntu is set up to not use a root account. Instead, your normal user
has permission to do "root" things, but it requires you to enter your
password first. This is done for security reasons, and it's advisable
to maintain it that way. You can run a "root level" command from the
command line as your normal user by using "sudo <command>". I'd advise
you to *not* use the suggestions about setting a password for the root
account with "sudo passwd root" as suggested above, but it's up to
you.

Aq.