[Wolves] finding my roots

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 21:50:29 BST 2005

On 09/10/05, Steve Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I then ended up enabling 'root', logging in as such and
> > accomplishing the task.  I like to have the choice of loggin in as
> > root if I wish as aware as I am of the inherent dangers of doing so
> >

> The danger is that Ubuntu has not been tested with root enabled and the
> desktop tools like gsudo are patched to ask for the sudor password and
> not root so something might not work as expected when you use them like
> this as described by B
>
> When ubuntu first entered testing more than 12 months ago I installed
> using the first disk set up to do this and it took some getting used to
> and I needed to sudo a shell sometimes to get things working I doubt
> there is anything you would need to do this for now with more than 12
> months of testing.
>
> I have never used root on my current Ubuntu system, I have never wished
> for root under osx and I can't remember the last time I needed su and
> not sudo on my debian boxes, once you stop using the root account and
> start using sudo it's amazing just how little you need to be root for
> that can't be done one command at a time ;-)
>
> sparkes

I do strive to only use sudo but this was pretty much desperation as I
just kept getting thrown out of what I was trying to achieve.  I
cannot remember what it was but it was someting very simple that
'should' have gone smoothly using sudo.... I don't know why it
wouldn't.

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street