[Wolves] FW: VPN clients

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 09:21:11 BST 2005

On 11/10/05, Simon B <simonb at geek-web.co.uk> wrote:

> Kinda answering my own question but I was playing with software unsurprisingly called pptpclient (http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/) and found that PPTP VPNS could be done that way quite easily, so that's sorted, next problem is now Cisco ezVPN stuff, the may be one on the cisco site possibly?? I'll have to have a proper look otheriwse im in the poo heh

I've used pptpclient in the past and it works OK.

The vpnc package successfully connects with Cisco VPN concentrators
and I use that daily.

There is a closed source client from Cisco but it requires kernel
trickery and the open source one works just as well

2 things however

* The version of vpnc in Breezy seems to be broken IMO. There was a
vpnc-connect script previously to start the VPN which is no longer
there. I'm currently using Breezy with a downgraded version

* vpnc doesn't handle transparant tunneling over abitary TCP ports.
Lots of sites block outgoing TCP 10000 (Default port) so on my
occassions I've admitted defeat and rebooted into Windows to be able
to tunnel out over port 80. I cannot wait until the ability to choose
the port is in the open source version

Cheers!

--
~sm