[Wolves] is the lug dead?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 09:42:26 BST 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:04, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> I have a bit of code which puts a "talk to someone" box on your
> website. It allows as many people as need to to use it,
> simultaneously. What it actually does is lets them talk to you over
> IRC, under the covers; you simply log into a specific IRC server and
> wait for messages, and the system gateways their entries into the web
> form to you on IRC, and then gateways your IRC replies back to the web
> form. You can use Gaim to log into the IRC channel, or any IRC client
> of your choice. The code's not been hugely tested thus far, but i'm
> happy to release if you want to play with it.

Thats hugely kind of you. Of course you realise I'd use it for commercial
purposes?

I am a complete dumbo when it comes to IRC stuff (Thats not fishing for
sympathy by the way) I have used Kopete but forget my login and stuff I
remember it was a pain in the a... to sign up and get an account, should have
written everything down, plus I'm not a fast typer so while I'm doing a
response the other person is on their second question/statement.

Having said all the above paragraph what I'm hoping to do is

1. set up a help desk/fault call system that gives them a ticket or they can
track the ticket. Our customers can either phone in or go to the website and
log a problem. If they are registered to the site they can then get in a
protected area where they can track the fault call.

All of this is old hat and I'm sure I saw a module for it.

2. The chat thing is more a toy than anything else most people phone or email
but it makes the end user/customer think you're giving another service and
that its a direct way of getting hold of you when the phone is just as good.

If you can spare 5 minutes have a look at www.mamboforge.net plonk chat in the
search field and it brings up a lot of modules to install the same for help
desk.

Really I have two problems

A. Which one is the one I want?
B. Will they work with Joomla

Joomla stuff is thin on the ground at the moment I've had to do some fudges to
get stuff to work the beauty of this is if it don't work you just uninstall
and the site is still clean and mean.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon