[Wolves] Ubuntu failed! I don't believe it!

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:49:48 BST 2005

On 11/10/05, Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I been using ubuntu for ages after mandrake.  It was
> good, stable always booted just what linux should do.
> But today it could not boot-up 'X server'.  It gave me
> the option to use the command line and log in as root.
>  Today i was updating the system like it has done
> loads time, creating new default grub options.  I did
> today using synaptic tried to download varies
> bluetooth apps, but they could'nt get my USB and
> phone.  I have Nvidia graphics card so all i can think
> of is that after it updated it did'nt like my Nvidia
> and created conflicts.  Now i can't get into gnome
> with all that work.  Good job 5.10 is out Thursady so
> i can start a fresh.  I was shocked because this was
> the first distro without major problems and all
> worked.  I can't believe i'm writing this.
> In the meantime what commands can i write in root to
> get my X server configures and boot into gnome to get
> to my work?
>
> Cheers
>
> Bobby

Have you firstly tried just typing in startx at the prompt?  That's
what I had to do with Zenwalk to get to a GUI.  I then (thanks to
James) edited the initab (or is spelled inittab with two t's?) so that
the run level was set for 4.  Viola! GUI again.
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay