[Wolves] Ubuntu and KDE

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:30:45 BST 2005

On 25/10/05, Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have ubuntu and created an experimental account for
> kde or kubuntu.  Did this using;
> 'System->Administration->Users and Groups'
> However i assumed when i downloaded kde its apps will
> stay in that account.  When i go back to my main
> Ubuntu/gnome acoount there are KDE apps from the other

Uhm. You don't install software in the account, you install it on the
machine. When you install the software from the standard repositories
(whether it's KDE or GNOME based apps) it makes it available for
anyone to use. That's why you see all the KDE apps on the GNOME menu,
because other users might want that software too.

> account.  This makes my main ubuntu/gnome account look
> bloated, which is against gnome way.

Look bloated? It's just links in a menu. The software has already
"bloated" your disk by installing all the libs for kde on it.

> So how do i keep the 2 accounts totally seperate and
> make sure when i install kde apps in my kde account
> they stay there and don't cross over to my main
> ubuntu/gnome account?

They're just links in a menu. You could edit the menu with the menu
editor "smeg" and remove the links to the apps. It wont stop the apps
being there though, and the gnome user could easily start them from
the command line too.

Cheers,
Al.