[Wolves] Blue Gene/L IBM Super computer

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 06:02:35 GMT 2005

--- Steve Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:

> yeah, cos it's just a bunch of apple powerbooks
> running linux linked
> together with bits of wire and chewing gum. ;-)
>
> There's a lot more to building a supercomputer than
> picking an OS and
> bolting the off the shelf bits together.  It doesn't
> matter the article
> doesn't mention linux I thought we where after
> desktop users this year
> wasn't last year 'the year of the computer
> scientist'?
>
> ;-)
>
> sparkes

Hi Sparkes

You are right and that is exactly what IBM has done,
but what the article does not make very clear is that
IBM chose an open source operating system because it
is supported by the community and normal users are
familiar with it. Loads of articles on the net about
IBM's choice. If this was M$ it would have been all
over the news because the PR department would have
made sure of that. Perhaps the Linux community needs a
'PR' function and some wealthy person to finance it.

Mo