[Wolves] PHP Problem

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 14:42:35 BST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 13:55, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> > Sorted out the PHP/Xoops issue
>
> Cool. What did you do?

Phwar its a bit complecated.

If you want the truth I think its Witchcraft!! honestly, I re-watched I-Robot
at the weekend pretty pants film but there is the bit about 'Ghost in the
machine' and I think there may be some truth in it.

trying to do it at work and I get all sorts of failures and problems!! So I
thought "OK I'll take the box home and do it there" I know its work but I'm
after the brownie points.

Anyway, here we go, Compaq SFF lovely machines, already had Suse loaded but
refusing to boot. Stuck the DVD in said 'New installation' off it went
everything seemed fine then suddenly it decided it could only do a text based
install!!! What!! I let it carry on it finished but refused to install X or
have anything to do with it.

I had the right hump so (don't ask me why) I stuck a Windows boot disk in
deleted the partitions did fdisk /mbr and formated C stuck the Suse DVD in
again off it went happily I told it to wipe all partitions but when it
finished it had a 6GB FAT and an 11GB Reiser partitions???? "Hows that??".

Still, got the basics loaded MySQL, Xoops etc everything working fine (Using
localhost of course) Pete happy as a pig in shi..... takes the box back to
work switches on and....??? yup its knackered.

Luckily I had some Suse CD's at work stuck disk one in and did a repair hey
presto its up and running whoopee! all I have to do know is get it to a semi
viewable condition then I can improve it over time.

To be honest I think what was happening was my fault but how was I to know? At
work once I had loaded everything apart from Xoops or Mambo I did an on-line
update which was getting these faulty Apache/PHP updates hence the problem
thats why at home everything is OK why, because its not been updated for
about two months.

The lesson being "Dont be in such a haste to get updates"

Ta Da

--
Regards
Peter Cannon