[Wolves] Semantic web viability

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Thu Sep 1 18:15:09 BST 2005

Luke Redpath wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't able to make it last night - lots of stuff going on.
>
> Aq, perhaps you could elaborate then? My understanding of the term
> "semantic web" as it is commonly used has always been the use of
> correctly structured XHTML or XML (usually XHTML) to markup documents
> appropriately. Something I certainly don't think is too much extra work
> and should always be encouraged over "tag soup", as it were.

Aq said something along the lines of that the eventual goal is for
machine readable/understandable data (i..e well structured etc) which
could be used to make inferences from.

Eventually it would lead to the situation where an "agent" (e.g pocket
pc) could organise a doctors appointment for you, or order medicine for
you using information from numerous sources (e.g. Drs waiting list, your
credit card, your availability etc)

His arguments were that :

1) Data can't be trusted
2) People don't like maintaining meta-data (yet alone their own web pages)
3) People lie with metadata (e.g. html keywords) in an effort to boost
page impressions/profit etc.
4) People don't always know what they're doing etc.
5) Security is an issue (i.e. if I trust you, and you trust him, so I
therefore trust him?)

Blah

--
David Goodwin