[Wolves] Success?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 19:56:04 BST 2005

David Goodwin wrote:

> Chris - as you appear to be an "outgoing type", perhaps you should
> have taken the intiative and stood up, introduced yourself and then
> asked everyone else to say who they were :)

Food and venue excellent  but I think everyone may need to track their
spending a bit more carefully now there is no set menu. Starters, nan
and a main course was more than £10 but I was plenty full enough with
just a birianni for £8-50 ish so don't be put off.

I think the 'standing up' part is the problem with the introduction for
many people. Typically, there has been 10 minutes of witty, often rude,
easily-flowing conversation and someone turns to the new people without
warning and says "stand up and tell us about yourself". Noone actually
says "... while we all stare at you - and don't be boring!" but that's
how it feels to someone uncomfortable with public speaking. My mind
always goes completely blank in that situation. If we made it seated and
less formal by prompting with a few questions then I think it would be a
lot less intimidating AND the really tricky one - don't interrupt. This
isn't LUG Radio.

Woo (I may not seem shy but it took at least 25 years hard work for me
to be able to walk up to a stranger and start a conversation.)