[Wolves] You know this freespire thing?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 11:14:59 BST 2005

On 07/09/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow the Link I did
>
> On 07/09/05, Larry Tomkins <ls.tomkins at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I must disagree freespire/squiggle is one thing, a
> > project by Andrew Betts that escaped into the wild,
> > freespire is/was a download so that potential users
> > can get a look at Linspire.
> > Linspire might not be this lug's cup of tea but is a
> > very good alternative to using windows for someone
> > that really doesn't want the involvment of the more
> > dedicated linux users. It can also be the first step
> > to seeing more linux desktop users.
> > A rip off? well that is open for debate.
> >
> > Larry T.
> >
> > --- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You know this freespire that is now squiggle well if
> > > you go to the
> > > site it leads to a link that give you a token for
> > > Linspire so you can
> > > download it for free.  Then register and then pay
> > > for your click n
> > > run.  Rip Off or what!
> > > --

It can be argued that some of the outlets selling the Debian Sarge
CD's are a rip off.  Places like CheepLinux.  But they are offering a
service.  This is the same with the C'n'R concept.  The software is
packaged in such a way that it is literally a one click process to
install it.  I would have loved that when I first tried Linux and to
be honest it may have pulled me into the Linux waters a lot deeper a
lot faster.  Put yourself in the place of somebody who is not computer
literate.  You've maybe used Windows for some time, possibly an
illegal copy.  You suddenly find that Microsoft have put up these
scary barriers to upgrading the OS.  Let's face it, PC users are being
bombarded with pleas to keep their MS OS up to date because otherwise
those nasty crackers (note I will not use the incorrect media term of
hacker) will empty your bank account, use your PC as a spam/porn
platform, run off with your wife/kids/dog....  So you either shell out
on the full licensed version of Windows or you pay about a tenner to
be able to download all that nice software in a really easy way.  Add
to that it's Linux so is much safer than MS software (security wise).

Or, you can still download software and install it the old fashioned
way... the way we do it :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer