Top Posting (was Re: More stuff, was Re: [Wolves] Give Away)

Roger Greenlaw rgreenlaw at rdgcomputer.com
Fri Sep 9 12:27:15 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Kevanf1
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 4:48 AM
To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group
Subject: Re: Top Posting (was Re: More stuff, was Re: [Wolves] Give Away)

On 08/09/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In some circles though, it seems to me, your looked down on like scum
> if you don't already know these things.  So Adam Pointing this problem
> out so politely simply doesn't put my nose out of joint.  Consequently
> I am then informed, once informed I can pass the message on.
>
> I think it was the lo-tech guy at lug radio live who said that every
> one in the Linux community has something to offer.
> Newbies are Ideal guinpigs for new apps, web pages and improvements.
> If a newbie can use it with ease, then anyone can theory.
>
> Linux yearlings have enough experience to show newbies what they have
learnt.

> Older linux users can teach yearlings what they have learnt and so on.

I recently had a very rare argument on the SuSE list.  A guy was using
the term newbie in a derogatory manner.  Now that is something I
absolutely hate and will really have a go about.  Everybody is new at
some point.  This particular guy was really sneering at another new
Linux user simply because he had asked a question that to him was
obviously easy and unimportant.  To the new user it was something he
didn't know and so, asked.  I have a theory that the obnoxious twerps
on various techie (not just Linux) mailing lists are friendless little
oiks who can only sneer, patronise and poke fun at newcomers because
in the real world they couldn't argue with a wet lettuce :-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire
WS6 7HR

[Roger Greenlaw]

I agree, when I was beginning linux I asked many "stupid" questions which I
don’t even think about now, but the answers were very important to me while
I was learning.  Some people just don't know how to politely assist others
in need of answers.

I once heard the following quote (don't remember the source)

  There are no such things as stupid questions except questions to which you
already know the answer.

It's too bad I live in the USA After reading comments posted to this mailing
list I would very much like to attend your LUG to meet a few of you.

Hope your meeting is a smashing success!

Roger